Prince Harry is said to be disappointed by Buckingham Palace's decision to withdraw an invitation for him to stay there during his upcoming visit to the UK.

The Duke of Sussex is due to spend time in London this week before travelling to Birmingham to promote the Invictus Games, which is taking place next year.

Earlier today (July 6), Harry's team confirmed he had accepted an offer to stay at Buckingham Palace during the London portion of his trip, but shortly after, the royal residence itself said the offer had been "withdrawn".

According to royal sources (via the BBC), Harry had not responded to the offer of accommodation by the deadline, which was last week. He was reportedly informed over the weekend that he would no longer be able to stay there. This is because the palace requires a minimum notice period to make preparations and arrange suitable staffing.

In response to Buckingham Palace's invitation withdrawal, a spokesperson for Harry said the move was disappointing.

prince harry reacts to buckingham palace's u turn on invitation for his upcoming uk visitpinterest
Joshua Sammer//Getty Images

Where Harry will reside while visiting London is now unclear, but it is understood that Meghan Markle and his two children will not join him. This is due to an ongoing dispute with the UK government about taxpayer-funded police security, which the Sussexes are no longer entitled to since stepping back as senior working royals.

Everyone's clicking on...

Although Meghan, Archie, and Lilibet are not expected to visit London, there have been reports that they will join him later and travel to Althorp in Northampton, the family estate of Princess Diana. The BBC understands Harry had made plans to take his wife and children to his mother's private grave there.

Harry has previously made clear that he would not bring his family to the UK unless an agreement was made over improved security arrangements. As such, he has travelled to the UK alone on his most recent visits, and King Charles has not seen his grandchildren in person in four years. In a bid to mend his and Harry's allegedly strained relationship, and spend more time with Archie and Lilibet, the monarch has reportedly extended an invite for them to spend summer with him in Balmoral.

Headshot of Jade Biggs
Jade Biggs
Freelance Writer
Jade Biggs (she/her) is one of Cosmopolitan UK's freelance writers, working across all sections including entertainment, beauty, body, and sex and relationships. She previously held the position of Features Writer, covering everything from breaking news and the latest royal gossip, to the health and fitness trends taking over your TikTok feed. Jade has a degree in journalism and has been a journalist and content editor for ten years, interviewing leading researchers, high-profile influencers, and industry experts in that time. She is a cat mom to four fur babies and is obsessed with Drag Race, bottomless brunches, and wearing clothes only suitable for Bratz dolls. Follow her on Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn.